No Excuses University
Studies show that our students’ futures are on the line and that we need to take immediate steps to change their options and their perspectives of their destinies. Therefore, we have joined the No Excuses University Network of Schools.
All King students are a part of the No Excuses University. King is one of two schools in the district that are officially in the national NEU network.
Being an NEU school means our staff, students and parents embrace the overall theme of college readiness. Some of the many things we do to promote our theme include:
- Scheduling staff resources to guide extended learning opportunities
- Recruiting volunteers to mentor students to help ensure their academic success
- Providing No Excuses parent forums, which help us collaborate with families to ensure we all are working together for the success of our students
- Linking our student recognition and incentives to our No Excuses theme and character traits
- Creating student leaders
College readiness: Advancement via Individual Determination (AVID)
After years of success at the secondary level, Advancement Via Individual Determination—or AVID—was expanded to King, implementing the program school-wide. AVID gives all students at King the tools to be critical thinkers and carry those skills into secondary schools and college.
Kindergarten Jump Start
Kindergarten Jump Start is a free program for incoming kindergarteners that takes place a few weeks before the school year begins. Students participate in a variety of math, literacy and hands-on activities; learn school routines; and become familiar with their new surroundings.
Data shows that students who attend Jump Start are better prepared for kindergarten than children who do not participate. They also gain confidence, leadership skills and enthusiasm for school. Don’t miss this opportunity to give your child a successful transition to kindergarten!
To register your child, please contact the King office.
VPS preschool program
Our preschool program actively engages 4-year-olds in age-appropriate activities to increase school-readiness skills and ease the transition process into kindergarten.
- Enrollment for each session is 14 students.
- The number of students who apply for this program will determine final program options.
- A snack of juice and crackers is provided.
- A full-year commitment is essential to the success of the program.
- Transportation is not provided.